Every pedicure should come with wine.
At the GrapeSeed Spa, The Gals and I were treated to the soak, scrub and message of a traditional pedicure, but with wine and the surrounding deluxe spa and resort that is part of South Coast's Winery, we were transported, giddy really, with t
hat you're here now, pinch yourself feeling.
Post pedi, we hustled over via complimentary golf cart to dive into a wine tour that made me feel like I should go to the back of the class. If we had
been given a test
on wine making after the tour, I would have failed, sadly I think Brigitte would have too, but we would have copied off Jody who spent several years working in the spirits industry. What are friends for?
Our guide was in a hurry, she spoke too fast and much of the information was lost on me. However, she redeemed herself with the tasting that followed the actual tour. We sat down, alfresco, to a lovely table set with cheese plate and several wine glasses. Overlooking the vineyards, the scene fulfilled our romantic fantasies of a Southern California wine dynasty. Fantasy example: Hopping on the back of a Steve McQueen dude's dirt bike for a quick "tour" of the "grapes," hair blowing, the smell of fertile soil... I'm getting away from
myself. In reality, we were sitting with a very sweet gay couple.
The take-away from the tasting was twofold. 1) South Coast Winery is on the map as a premier winemaker in California. They have won, for the last two years, Southern California's Winery Of The Year. 2) The wines, to our taste buds, were outstanding! And we learned just how to taste them, what they would be good paired with, and why we should come back to this winery again and again.
• To taste: See, swirl, smell and savior
- Once it's poured, tilt the glass, hold it up and look at the color
- Swirl the glass. This allows air to "open up" the taste
- Smell, "Go ahead stick your nose right down in the glass."
- Savior, "Suck it in, swish it in your mouth and swallow."
• Why come back: Too many reasons to name here, but below are a few...
- The Villas amongst the grapes is just dreamy.
- "The Club" has activities and deals to take advantage of in person or
from a distance.
- In September and October, you can tap into your inner earth mama and actually pick grapes.
- The GrapeSeed Spa (mentioned above)–luxuriate.
- The Vineyard Rose restaurant. Savior wine and food at this mediterranean restaurant.
You'll appreciate the Tuscan ambiance. Have the antipasti, for sure!
- Romance, with The Gals, well and good, but this place screams for a romantic getaway.
Top Left; GrapeSeed Spa outdoor lounge
Middle Left; Us, tasting
Lower Right; Antipasti Plate, The Vineyard Rose
Above Photos, Brigitte Lehnert of Flow Modern Design
Photo Below, Courtesy of Temecula CVB,